Family Lawyers

Free Questionnaire

Click here if you would like more information related your circumstances before your first consultation.


Questionnaire takes 5 mins or up to 40mins depending on how much information you wish to provide

Divorce Lawyers Sydney

Looking for experienced Divorce Lawyers in Sydney? Having access to expert advice on divorce law can help reduce the stress and expense often associated with the process. Our Divorce Lawyers have significant expertise in guiding clients who are undergoing a divorce. We help to simplify and streamline the divorce process and advise on matters of:

  • Divorce Application
  • Parenting Orders and Children’s Issues
  • Child Support, Financial Agreements
  • Property Settlements
  • Estate Planning and more.

Our Sydney divorce lawyers work towards securing all entitlements for our clients and expediting the process to reduce the costs and pressures involved.

What are the requirements for obtaining a divorce?

For a divorce to be granted, the Federal Circuit Court must be satisfied that:

  • there is a valid marriage
  • the marriage has broken down irrevocably
  • that parties to the marriage have been separated for at least 12 months (365 consecutive days)
  • where children are involved, the courts must also be satisfied that proper arrangements have been put in place for the ongoing care of the children
  • for marriages of less than two years duration, it is also a requirement that counselling has been undertaken

Contact one of our Divorce Lawyers Sydney and benefit from our experience in all aspects of divorce and family law.

What is the process of obtaining a divorce?

In order to finalise your divorce, we will assist you in undertaking the following steps:

  1. Prepare your application for divorce, which must be signed by you.
  2. File your application for divorce with a copy of your marriage certificate. If you are unable to find your marriage certificate, we can request one for you from the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.
  3. Upon receipt of your documents, the Court will set a time and date for the hearing. The hearing is usually about two to three months after the date of filing the divorce application.
  4. You will need to serve your application for divorce on your former partner 28 days prior to your hearing.
  5. The hearing should only take approximately 15 minutes. If you have a child under the age of 18, you are required to attend the hearing – otherwise, there is no obligation to attend. We will represent you and you are not required to speak or give any evidence.
  6. After the hearing, the court will grant your divorce order which will take effect one month and one day after the hearing.

Frequently Asked Questions

When can I apply for a divorce?

You can apply for a divorce so long as you have been separated for a period of 12 months or longer. If you reconcile during that time, even for a short duration, the period might have to be extended.

My partner and I have separated but we still live in the same house, can I still apply for divorce?

Yes. There are many people who divorce whilst living under the one roof. However, if you do apply for divorce, you will need to show the Court evidence that you are separated in an affidavit. We can assist you in preparing these documents.

Can I oppose a divorce application?

You can only oppose a divorce application if you have not been separated for 12 months or more or the Court does not have jurisdiction (for example, if you have already applied for divorce in another country).

If you still want the divorce granted but disagree with the facts alleged by your former spouse in their application, you can file a Response to Divorce which will set out which facts you disagree with.

I am getting divorced. Will decisions concerning by children and property be made at the same time?

No. Your divorce application is separate to any application for parenting or property orders. Our divorce lawyers have expertise in negotiation parenting and property matters and can guide you through this process.

Do I have to be divorced to finalise my parenting arrangements or property settlement?

No. The two processes are completely separate. Arrangements about property and parenting issues can be made at any stage following separation. However, applications for property settlement must be filed within 12 months of your divorce.

Does it matter if we were married overseas?

If you or your former spouse are Australia citizens, permanent residents or regard Australia as your permanent home, then you can file an application for divorce in Australia.

What effect does my divorce have on my will?

When you get divorced, some parts of your can become void. For example, any gifts you have made to your former spouse or any appointment of them as an executor, trustee or guardian will no longer be valid. If you are unsure about how your divorce will affect your will, our estate team can assist you in guiding you through this process and updating your will where necessary.

How long does the process take?

The process takes at least 5 months and depends on where your case falls in the ‘queue of cases’. Your Application may take longer to process if one party is residing overseas, there are not adequate parenting arrangements in place for the children or the circumstances of your separation are ‘unclear’.

How long do we have to be separated?

You must be separated for 12 months and that can be under one roof. If you reconcile during that time, even for a short duration, the period might have to extend and you need advice.

How much does it cost?

Our standard fee starts at $1,000 plus the Court’s government lodgement fee (currently $900). If for example, you have a Marriage Certificate in another language, can’t find the other spouse or have been separated under one roof, our fees might be higher. We will tell you at our first conference with you.

After Divorce, will I have to pay my ex maintenance?

In many cases, one spouse in a marriage is the ‘primary income earner’ and the other spouse either does not work or works part-time only. The Court, based on the Family Law Act, has an obligation to ensure that once spouses separate and two households are set up, a non-working or part-time working spouse is not suddenly without funds to afford even basic necessities such as food.

This is because the parties of a marriage (that is, you and your spouse/partner), as a couple, made the decision (whether consensual or otherwise) that one spouse would not work and that the other would be the primary income earner for the household.

For this reason, the marriage as a whole has to pay for the other spouse’s living costs after separation until there can be a final hearing to divide the assets. This payment is called spouse maintenance. It is a weekly sum of money paid to a spouse for living costs and must be paid by the primary income earning spouse.

To find out more about Spousal Maintenance visit this page.

Family Law Articles

Family Law
Promotions from 1 July, 2019
Read More

Family Law
What is an Independent Children’s Lawyer?
Read More

Family Law
Prenups: Everything you need to know
Read More

Family Law
In Parenting Cases – Who should prepare the critical “Family Report”
Read More

Family Law
Promotions from 1 July, 2019
Read More

Family Law
What is an Independent Children’s Lawyer?
Read More

Family Law
Prenups: Everything you need to know
Read More

Family Law
In Parenting Cases – Who should prepare the critical “Family Report”
Read More

Ready to talk?

Our exceptional team of lawyers are waiting to hear from you to help you deal with your legal needs efficiently.

Or call 1800 679 610

Family Law? Get started online using our free, no-obligation tools.

Clinch Long Woodbridge

99 York Street
Sydney NSW 2000
Get directions

  Level 5, 99 York Street, Sydney NSW 2000 Australia
  PO Box Q1614, Queen Victoria Building NSW 1230